Thursday, November 19, 2009

Dominican Republic - Cabarete





Well, after some thought and deliberation - as in, where can I go that I haven't been that has palm trees and has reasonable airfare from Calgary mid March - I decided
to go and explore the Dominican Republic.

Good decision. This colourful little country has lots to see and do - including great places to party.

I flew into Puerto Plata - WestJet has direct flights there during the Winter - as it was near the end of season, prices weren't too bad. They have flights to Punta Cana and La Romana airports too - so easy access to the DR from Cowtown (Calgary's nickname for all you who don't know). I chose Puerto Plata because there was surfing nearby and, from all accounts, a fun little place called Cabarete.

I got to know the guy sitting beside me on the plane. He'd been to the DR several times, so he knew the ins and outs of the airport. It's always a little overwhelming, being a single female, to arrive in an airport in a developing country. When you have only sketchy language skills it adds a little extra adrenaline to your day. Trust me.


The guy explains to me that Cabarete is a little more than an hour away from Puerto Plata (he's on his way to Sosua - about half way in between) and that there are a few options to get there. Taxi is the most expensive, Gua-Gua is the second most expensive, and Motoconcho is the cheapest. There are good reasons for this. But... I don't want to bore anyone who cares to be reading this blog about the small details. If anyone is interested, I'll add another blog about travel in the DR.

The point is I arrived in Cabarete (by taxi this time!) and got settled into my hotel. Initially I stayed at the Alegria Hotel. A nice, clean, cozy hotel tucked just off the beach. Here's a link to accommodations in the area: http://www.activecabarete.com/lodging/ I also stayed at Ali's Surf Camp, or Cabarete Surf Camp. This place is a fantastic spot to meet people. If you are travelling alone and feel the need to connect with some like-minded adventurers, you might want to check it out. Either head down there for dinner - they have a delicious fixed-price communal meal every night for their guests - sign up for a surf day, or book yourself into their space. They have a great range of accommodations from small, sparse bungalows to fully stocked apartments. You'll find whatever you need there. Including the party!


It's a diverse little village and really an active 'hub' for the North coast of the DR.

This also means that when you party, you are partying with some very fit, delicious looking people... from all over the world. Yum.

So, I got settled in and then decided to go out explore the nightlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment