Thursday, December 31, 2009

Infected Mushroom - Whiskey, Calgary



I have to say that Infected Mushroom is one of my favourite groups this year. Their set at Burning Man was one of the most memorable and they didn't disappoint here in Calgary.
I must admit, I went to the venue with some trepidation, I mean seriously, how could they ever live up to the Burn memories? Well, it surely wasn't the same experience, however, this band puts on an amazing show - regardless of their location.
I think it's because their music is so unique. Duvdev, the lead singer, knows exactly how to play the crowd and uses the pounding beats to squeeze explosive energy out of the audience. Timing is everything for this group. Their music pulls you into an almost Dervish frenzy, broken up by perfect pauses, followed by arm pumping, crowd jumping loud smack-down beats. Love it.
The crowd was made up of some of the usual Calgary-based festival goers, a few of us older Burners and a lot of mid-20's trance aficionados.
Can't wait to see them again - hopefully in Florida at the Ultra Music Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment